Stephansson House Provincial Historic Site is now closed for the season.
We will be open again from May 15, 2019 to September 2, 2019, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily.
As we are a seasonal site, please use the following for contacting us:
May 15 to Labour Day (first Monday in September)
We are located approximately 30 minutes west of Red Deer, Alberta.
2230 Twp Rd 371
Red Deer County, AB
Please note: We accept cash only.
- Adults: $5
- Seniors and students: $4
- Youth (7-17): $2
- Family (2 Adults + youths to a maximum of 8 people): $14
- Children 0-6: Free
Admission is free for:
- Stephan G. Stephansson Icelandic Society Members
- Canadian Military and Families (with CFOne card)
- Cultural Access Pass holders
- Wheelchair accessible washrooms and gift shop.
- Picnic tables.
- Interpretive panels outside the site.
- Cash only (Canadian currency only) accepted for admissions, gift shop, and programs. No cash machine onsite.
- Public washrooms are available inside the Visitor Centre during open hours.
- The nearest dining can be found in Sylvan Lake (24 kilometres north) and Penhold (25 kilometres east).
- Free tourist information brochures and magazines are available. This is not an official Tourism Visitor Information Centre, but staff are happy to answer questions to the best of their ability.
- For all bookings, contact Historic Markerville Creamery Museum: 403-728-3006 or toll-free 1-877-728-3007.
- A wheelchair accessible washroom is available in the Visitor Centre.
- The Visitor Centre is wheelchair accessible.
- The historic Stephansson House is not fully wheelchair accessible.
- Service animals with identification are permitted in the Visitor Centre and historic buildings.
- Please do not leave pets in vehicles.
- The gift shop is open during normal operational hours: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily from May 15 to September 3, 2018.
- A variety of items are available, including books, crafts, and postcards, with a focus on the site's Icelandic heritage and homesteading history.
- Cash only (Canadian currency only) is accepted.
- Call ahead to ensure an interpreter will be available to provide a tour. There are certain times tours are not available.
- Good walking shoes and clothing for variable weather are recommended.
- To check weather, visit the Weather Network's website or call us at 403-728-3929.
- Alcohol is not allowed onsite.
- Smoking (including e-cigarettes) is not allowed in the Visitor Centre and historic buildings.
- There is unreliable cell phone and internet service at Stephansson House.
- Tours and services are in English.
- Limited parking is available.