Stephansson House Provincial Historic Site is now closed for the season.
We will reopen on May 15, 2020.
May 15 to Labour Day (first Monday in September)
We are located approximately 30 minutes west of Red Deer, Alberta.
2230 Twp Rd 371
Red Deer County, AB
Please note: We accept cash only.
- Adults: $5
- Seniors and students: $4
- Youth (7-17): $2
- Family (2 Adults + youths to a maximum of 8 people): $14
- Children 0-6: Free
Admission is free for:
- Stephan G. Stephansson Icelandic Society Members
- Canadian Military and Families (with CFOne card)
- Cultural Access Pass holders
- Wheelchair accessible washrooms and gift shop.
- Picnic tables.
- Interpretive panels outside the site.
- Cash only (Canadian currency only) accepted for admissions, gift shop, and programs. No cash machine onsite.
- Public washrooms are available inside the Visitor Centre during open hours.
- Nearby dining can be found in Spruce View (17 kilometres south), Sylvan Lake (24 kilometres north) and Penhold (25 kilometres east).
- Free tourist information brochures and magazines are available. This is not an official Tourism Visitor Information Centre, but staff are happy to answer questions to the best of their ability.
- For all bookings, contact Historic Markerville Creamery Museum: 403-728-3006 or toll-free 1-877-728-3007.
- A wheelchair accessible washroom is available in the Visitor Centre.
- The Visitor Centre is wheelchair accessible.
- The historic Stephansson House is not fully wheelchair accessible.
- Service animals with identification are permitted in the Visitor Centre and historic buildings.
- Please do not leave pets in vehicles.
- The gift shop is open during normal operational hours: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily from May 15 to September 3, 2018.
- A variety of items are available, including books, crafts, and postcards, with a focus on the site's Icelandic heritage and homesteading history.
- Cash only (Canadian currency only) is accepted.
- Call ahead to ensure an interpreter will be available to provide a tour. There are certain times tours are not available.
- Good walking shoes and clothing for variable weather are recommended.
- To check weather, visit the Weather Network's website or call us at 403-728-3929.
- Alcohol is not allowed onsite.
- Smoking (including e-cigarettes) is not allowed in the Visitor Centre and historic buildings.
- There is unreliable cell phone and internet service at Stephansson House.
- Tours and services are in English.
- Limited parking is available.